“I’m guilty of a far more monstrous crime: I’m guilty of being a dwarf!”
He may be lacking in the feet and inches, but Peter Dinklage makes up for all that and much more with his overwhelming presence and acute intellect in the Games of Thrones as the thick-skinned Lord Paramount of the Westerlands. However, Peter Dinklage is not just limited to the much raved HBO series; there’s a lot more to this lovable actor that you need to know about. Let’s get started, shall we?
- He’s a vegetarian. Peter Dinklage confessed becoming a vegetarian back in his teens. Why? To that, ladies and gentlemen, he replied “because of my love for animals, but also for a girl.”
- The actor literally spent a good chunk of his career living with the rats. In the early days of his career, when he was struggling to establish himself as an actor to be reckoned with, Dinklage lived in a shared Williamsburg, Brooklyn apartment with his friends. The apartment never had heat, because the oven was inhibited by RATS!
- Peter Dinklage is a classically trained actor from Bennington College, Vermont. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Drama. Makes you wonder why it took him so long to excel at his career with the plethora of talent he owns – the guy mastered the art of saying ‘NO’ to every role that looked to exploit his short stature with meaningless scripts. Look where that landed him!
- The actor has a rich multi-cultural ancestry with roots spread in Ireland, England, and even Germany.
- Remember the voice that woke Elaine up every morning in Seinfeld? YEP, that was him! No wonder he sounded so familiar.
- “Thanks to our moms, they keep us humble.” The famous words from Peter Dinklage’s 2012 Golden Globe acceptance speech have a story behind them. When Dinklage spoke to his mother before the show, she told him that fellow nominee, Guy Pearce from Mildred Pierce, would win the Globe, because he was wonderful. Weren’t you wondering where all that mom talk came from?
- We bet you didn’t see this one coming: Peter Dinklage is a really good singer. He used to play for a band named Whizzy which he described as a punk-funk-rap band. That scar you see running from his eyebrows to his neck is a reminder of a highly energetic performance from those band days.
- Remember “Simon Says” from the Sesame Street? The game had us all playing it every chance we got! So who played Simon on the show? That’s right, it was Peter Dinklage.
- So who else was considered for the role of Tyrion Lannister besides Dinklage? No one! George R.R. Martin said Dinklage was his first and only choice for the character. Looks like a choice that paid off fairly well as Dinklage went on to bag an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his performance.
- Talk about being a man of talent, Peter Dinklage writes too! He has been working on the script of “My Dinner with Herve” a story based on the actor Herve Villechaize’s last days.
Well if that isn’t enough to make you love him all the more, we’re not sure what else would. The man is a powerhouse both off-screen and on-screen.